One product we use every day and that is nearly always made of plastic is our toothbrush. Conventional plastic toothbrushes weigh around 18 grams. On average, we each use approximately 300 toothbrushes during our lifetime. This means, that each of us throws away 5 kilos of plastic into the rubbish, which then ends up contaminating the environment.
In Europe, around 2 billion toothbrushes are sold annually, these turn into some 36,000 tonnes of non-recyclable waste. Therefore, choosing an eco-friendly toothbrush made without plastic is a way of doing the environment a favour.
But it is difficult not to get lost amongst the new and extensive variety of eco-friendly toothbrushes on offer. Various types of so-called eco-friendly toothbrushes exist, but for us two main truly eco-friendly options stand out:
The wooden toothbrush, 100% natural, plastic-free and biodegradable
The only toothbrushes 100% plastic-free and therefore truly biodegradable, as they are made exclusively of natural materials, are the toothbrushes made from beech wood with natural bristles from boar hair. They are produced in Germany and deliver an effective clean whilst taking care of your teeth. These are the best eco-friendly and plastic-free option, however they are not suitable for vegans. Therefore, we would also like to discuss bamboo toothbrushes.
By far the majority of eco-friendly toothbrushes (or at least labelled as such) consist of a bamboo handle and nylon bristles. These toothbrushes usually flaunt adjectives such as 100% biodegradable or organic. However, it is important to point out that the nylon used for the bristles of these toothbrushes is not really biodegradable, or at least not as we understand it when speaking of natural materials. Nylon is plastic and we find it a little misleading to talk about organic nylon as it gives the impression that it is free of synthetic chemical substances.
So, before choosing the range of vegan toothbrushes to offer for sale on our website, we have done a lot of research. We have chosen to stock toothbrushes from My Boo Company because they offer several advantages over other bamboo toothbrushes.
- Their bristles are made from nylon-6 free from Bisphenol A (BPA), a compound that is harmful to our health that is present in plastic toothbrushes.
- The nylon-6 used in these brushes does not contain petroleum derivatives as it is made from castor oil.
- For the recycling (of the nylon) and the composting (of the bamboo), one can remove the bristles with tweezers or pliers.
- Bamboo is biodegradable, compostable and has unique properties. For example, it doesn’t require fertilizers, pesticides, or watering in order to grow. In addition, the My Boo Company toothbrush is made from Moso bamboo, also known as winter bamboo. This variety of bamboo is not consumed by Panda bears.
- Originally from China, the bamboo used by this brand comes from an FSC (Forestry Stewardship Council) certified crop. This means it is cultivated environmentally responsibly with respect for the forests, animals and people in the region.
- And finally, the brand logo is printed with a laser to avoid the use of chemical dyes.
For these reasons, we believe that following the wooden toothbrush, the My Boo Company bamboo toothbrush is the best eco-friendly toothbrush on offer in the current market.
We hope we have helped you in your search for an eco-friendly toothbrush. It is possible to find an eco-friendly alternative to plastic toothbrushes and it is a very good way to reduce both your use of plastic and your waste.