You know what? You don’t have to give presents this Christmas. No really, you don’t have to.
Giving gifts is not a compulsory tradition, even though it feels like it is.
That said, if you choose to give a gift these holidays, we get it. We too like making someone’s day, especially that of our friends and family by sending them a surprise now and then, whether it’s Christmas time or not.
But this year above all, a year when many of us may not be able to physically be with the people we love, we are looking forward to seeing their faces light up with a surprise (and not just due to the shine of the computer screen on a videocall).
Therefore, the Sinplástico team has been working hard to bring you:
- A list of useful and practical plastic-free ideas for every member of the family, plus friends too. We have spent whole days thinking up the right present for each person and we just know that you are going to love our selection.
- A “Plastic-free Santa Claus” service for taking your gifts to the people you most care about in the world directly from Sinplástico: sent with less delivery journeys, less emissions, less worries and with all your love straight to the recipient’s door.
Does that sound good to you? Well, get reading…
A list of useful and practical plastic-free ideas for each and every member of your friends and family
1. For your father, who is not convinced by all this “zero waste” jargon, and he dies of embarrassment when you pull out your own container at the supermarket.
The “Dangerously sceptical family members’ Zero Waste” Pack:
This pack brings together all those products that we would keep buying even if we weren’t eco-warriors and that require minimum effort and change in the life of someone who is used to using single-use plastic.
It’s made up of:
- Ultra-light cotton muslin bags for putting in your pocket and perfect for buying fruit & veg at the supermarket stress-free – €3.55
- A bamboo toothbrush that will ensure you don’t miss your old traditional one – €4.80
- Stainless steel straws to have at home and say goodbye to plastic ones -€ 3,90
- Biodegradable sponge cloths that are more effective, long-lasting and economical than their synthetic counterparts – €1,75
- A washing-up brush for pots & pans that is easier to use and more effective than a plastic spongeCepillo para sartenes y ollas, más cómodo y eficaz que los estropajos plásticos -€ 2,95
2. For your mother, who spends a pretty penny on bottled water and starts choking every time she tries tap water.
The “Fight against chlorine” Pack:
- The MEGA PRESENT (Because there’s no one like your Mum): Water Purifier for eliminating the unpleasant taste and any toxic chemicals in tap water – €99.00
- Stainless steel ice cubes for cooling your purified water (or a sneaky Saturday G&T) in less than a minute – €21.50
- Recycled glass bottle for storing and serving your purified water, fit for the elegant woman she is – €9.20
3. For your partner, who always says they love reading and cooking, however who spent lockdown watching Netflix.
The “I love you anyway” Pack:
- Boxwood kitchen spatula for cooking toxin-free delicacies – €6.40
- Sartén de hierro profesional para que imite a sus chefs de referenciaProfessional iron frypan for pretending to be their favourite chef – €35.00
4. For your Grandmother, who has exceptional style and assures you that “they don’t make things like they used to.”
The “Things made like they used to be” Pack:
- Olive oil soap flakes from Marseille, so that her washing goes back to smelling like it always did – €7.00
- Big glass jar with the wooden lid, so she can hide those chocolate biscuits she is not allowed to eat – €8.40
- Recycled glass cup made in Spain to make her hot cuppa tea extra special – €5.60
5. For your brother, who is going to become a Dad for the first time and is running around like a chicken with his head cut off.
The “You can do it!” Pack:
- Organic Calendula bar of soap made in Zamora Spain, for him to care for his newborn’s delicate skin – €7.45
- Organic nappy rash cream made in Teruel, Spain that come in a glass pot for toxin-free skincare – €16.10
6. For your sister, who has become a big fan of batch cooking, plant-based milks and homemade baking.
- Beautiful rounded airtight jar for making pickles, conserves and for storing all types of food – €3.10
- Nut milk bag, so that she can make her own (delicious) plant-based beverages – €9.00
- Reusable food wraps, made with plant-based wax and organic cotton to keep her ingredients fresh, and to take that last piece of cake with her wherever she goes – €6.20
7. For your littlest ones, who have showed more patience than expected for their small size in 2020 and who enjoy the fresh air and outdoors more than ever:
The “Wild Child” Pack:
- A penknife with a rounded blade for chiselling sticks, foraging mushrooms and having great outdoor adventures – €10.90
- Bucket and spade for the sandpit, the park, the beach or the vegetable patch… – €9.50 & €4.90 respectively
- Wooden building set handcrafted in Spain for playing non-stop wherever and whenever desired – €29.70
8. For you teenage niece or nephew, who has joined the Extinction Rebellion and is now more of an activist that you.
The “Generational takeover” Pack:
- Activist backpack with the message “All I sea is plastic”, put together in social workshops in the south of Spain – €6.00
- Tea tree soap to take care of their acne-prone skin without having to rely on plastic generating products – €4.95
9. For your van-loving friend, who likes a morning coffee on a deserted beach more that a buffet in a luxury hotel.
The “Free as a bird” Pack:
- Mug & stainless steel plate each with a handle made in the Basque Country in the north of Spain. For their meals out and about amongst nature – €7.60 & €5.12 respectively.
- Sunscreen for catching the first wave of the day or for heading up the closest mountain without having to worry about getting burned – €14.95
- To-go “Bento wet box” container for taking their food with them wherever they head in the world (or within the confines of their municipality, that’s life during the pandemic) – €28.50€
10. For your best friend, who has discovered how to look after themselves during lockdown, and the truth is it’s good to see.
The “You’re worth it” Pack:
- Wooden shaving brush for a professional close shave – €42.80
- Cream deodorant for sensitive skin made in Teruel Spain – €12.30
- Nourishing organic face moisturiser for taking care of their good looks – €16.49
11. For your favourite four-legged friend, who has faithfully kept you company during the last few months, and hey who also deserves a little spoiling.
The “I even like your fur everywhere” Pack:
- Solid shampoo so that they can strut their show-stopping coat on their daily walk – €9.95
- A brush for getting out those persistent knots – €15.90
12. And for everyone else, this final “little something”
Because if there is something we have been told time and time again this year, it is to wash our hands. This handmade soap lets you do so whilst supporting families who have been displaced due to war in their homelands.
The “You scratch mi back and I’ll scratch yours” Gift:
We hope you like our selection of useful plastic-free gifts for your nearest and dearest.
Leave us a comment to let us know any other sustainable and plastic-free ideas for presents that you have.
We can’t wait to read all about them.
Plastic-free Santa Claus Service
Less travel, less emissions, less stress.
Would you like us to send your gift straight to the person of your choice?
Make it happen in just 3 steps:
- Look at the Sinplastico online shop and add your gift to your shopping cart.
- In the “Delivery address” section write the address of the person you would like to receive the gift.
- In the “Notes” section specify that it is a gift and if you would like to you can add a short message for the person who will receive it. We will write it on a personalised note to go in the parcel.