Whether you´re an employee or run your own company – we all know that at work we generate a lot of waste. Zero waste office´s are rare.
The good news is that you can do it by implementing these tricks to reduce your waste at work.
Tricks to be zero waste at work:
Food & Drinks:
- Change plastic bottles in meetings for a large glass bottle a jug and glasses or stainless steel cups.
- If the office tap water is undrinkable, filter it with our Binchotan filters.
- Bring your own glass, cup or stainless steel bottle to work everyday.
- As for the coffee machine? No thanks. Better a stainless steel thermos to bring it from home.
- If you have a communal kitchen, a lifetime cafetière.
- Sugar – pass on the sachets, buy in bulk and use a jar.
- To wash the cups, a luffa scourer, wooden brush or a copper scourer.
- Instead of buying take-away food to eat at your desk, avoid waste by taking your own food from home in a stainless steel lunch box or sandwiches wrapped in a cloth napkin.
- For snacks during the day try one of the stainless steel tubs with nuts or cereals purchased in bulk.
- To avoid wasting paper, leave a message at the door: NO JUNK MAIL PLEASE.
- When printing, think twice and where possible on re-use paper.
- If you want to remember an important email, save it in a folder with the title “IMPORTANT” instead of sending it to the printer.
- Exchange the post-it pieces of reused paper.
- Use chalk boards, instead of whiteboards and markers.
- Use coloured pencils, instead of highlighters and refillable pens!
- For shipments, reuse the boxes of the suppliers (as we do) and close them with adhesive tape of kraft paper, instead of plastic tape.
- When you buy new scissors, push pins or paper clips, just buy metal ones, the coloured ones are covered in plastic.
- Store documents in cardboard filing cabinets, one of the old ones, to avoid plastic covers.
- Repair everything reparable.
- Buy second-hand office furniture and computer equipment.
- When you place an order on behalf of your company, specify in comments: “shipping with the least amount of plastic possible, thanks.”
- Put on your preferred list suppliers those who also work to reduce their waste.
- Your business cards? Use recycled paper.
You can now boast zero waste office – take a deep breath and pat yourself on the back.